Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

IN HOT PURSUIT OF PASSPORT STAMPS

So I have some concrete plans for an August adventure to seek out some more Passport stamps!  I am hoping before then I will at least make it to Spar Cafe in Olympia, WA to complete my four stamps and receive a McMenamin's T-shirt! 

On August 26th I am going to board Amtrak bound for Portland,, OR.  From the train station I am in close proximity to a few McMenamin qualified places to get my stamps.  For sure I will hit the Crystal Hotel & Ballroom, Zeus Cafe, Al's Den, Lola's Room, as well as Ringler's Annex and Pub.  For all of this running around, I shall receive a Crystal Surprise.  Oh boy, I wonder what kind of a surprise I will get?  

Because I am a big fan of the Alberta District in Portland, I have reserved a B&B type place in that area through Airbnb for a couple of nights.  This will be a bit of a home base although not exactly.  I have already received all of the stamps possible from The Kennedy School, which is very nearby.  However, I spaced out the last time I was there recently and did not go to The Chapel Pub, which is right around that area.  So I will get my start on North/Northeast Portland and have three more stamps to go after that.  

Because I am a public transportation kind of Cosmic Tripster Wannabe, I will be a little bit limited on getting to as many places on this trip as I would like to.  

Like I said, I will spend two nights in the Alberta District at the B&B.  Staying true to my given name, The Budget Queen, I did get a really nice deal through Airbnb.  I had a credit of $25 given to me by my sister that was available to redeem with spending at least $100. I got two nights including all the taxes and fees (those add up) for $124.  That is only $62 per night and a light breakfast is even included, as well as available snacks and drinks.

While in the Alberta District I timed it so that I can partake in Last Thursday, a collection of Artisans, bicycles, music and characters.  Probably like an eclectic art walk.   Just my kind of attraction!

On Friday, August 28th I will bus it over to Troutdale to get a healthy dose of Edgefield.  The crazy thing is I have been to Edgefield many, many times.  Of course when I went there before the Passport was not in existence.  Oh, well, just means I have to go there again and endure the charm, the beautiful soaking pool, all the fun bars, the movie theatre, the spa, etc.  I will be more than happy to endure this, in fact I shall relish in it. 

I am doing something this time around that I have never done before - getting a women's hostel room.  It looks pretty decent on the website and it is only $30 a night before tax.  I plan to take in as much as I can while I am at Edgefield, including going to each of the bars, visiting the Winery and having a Wine Tasting, having a couple of meals in the Black Rabbit Restaurant & Bar.  It is my personal opinion that the Black Rabbit Restaurant has some of the best food of all of the McMenamins that I have been to.  It is so fresh and flavorful and beautiful presentation too. I may splurge on a spa treatment, depending on my budget at the time. 

There are ten total stamps to get at Edgefield.  The first four merit a prize of Administrator's choice and once all ten are achieved, there bill be another prize to be had.  This reminds me a little of a scavenger hunt! 

I will complete my Edgefield part of the Passport book on this trip.  I have barely scratched the surface so far although I will say it is more about the journey than the destination.  Of course reaching the destination will be quite an achievement with rich rewards. 

Until my next blog...

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great example of the expression "Carpe Diem!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice details on McMenaimin's on your blog Teresa Jean! I have been to a few, but the tips are helpful. The pictures make me want to explore more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Janine for your comment! I am glad my blog entices you to want to explore more Mcmenamins. They are truly worth it!

    ReplyDelete